| Group 1|
1. Where did both Ulysses S. Grant and General Robert E. Lee train to be
2. What is a cordon offense?
3. How many Union and Confederate soldiers were held prisoners during the
4. What is the Confederate name for the Battle of Antietam?
5. Why did West Virginia split away from Virginia during the Civil War?
| Group 2|
1. Name the states that fought for the Confederacy?
2. What are ironclads?
3. Who were the Union and Confederate commanders at Gettysburg?
4. When did Sherman's troops begin their march through Georgia?
5. What was the judge's decision in the Dred Scott case?
| Group 3|
1. What happened on April 12, 1861?
2. What are bounty jumpers?
3. What was the major economical difference between the North and the South?
4. What was the bloodiest day of the Civil War?
5. Why did Sherman and his army so completely devastate the land, barns,
and houses in Georgia and South Carolina?
| Group 4|
1. What battles were fought in order for the Union to secure the Mississippi
2. What are frontal assaults?
3. What happened at Appomattox Court House in 1865?
4. Describe General McClellan's role in the Civil War?
5. Who was Matthew Brady?
| Group 5 |
1. Who earned the nickname of "Unconditional Surrender" and how
did he earn it?
2. What is hardtack?
3. What is Harriet Beecher Stowe's place in the history of the Civil War?
4. Why was Kansas called Bleeding Kansas?
5. What happened on January 1, 1863?
| Group 6|
1. How did the use of repeating rifles change the war?
2. What does E Pluribus Unum mean?
3. Describe the conditions of Andersonville Prison in Georgia.
4. Did Abraham Lincoln live to see the end of the war? Explain.
5. When did the first draft laws begin in the North and the South?